Wednesday 13 October 2010

I finally plucked up the courage to go to the Doctor's and ask for help with my depression..

Me: I was really nervous to come today. I'd really like some help, I've been struggling with depression for a while now.
Her: OK, let's have a look at your notes.
(Tapping away at computer, not bothering to look at me)
Her: So last January you were in hospital after cutting your wrists
Me: Yes..
(Still tapping away)
Her: And you received counselling this time last year for alcohol abuse
Me: Yes...
Her: And this time last year you...were admitted to an eating disorders unit??

THEN I SWEAR TO GOD THE BITCH LOOKED ME UP AND DOWN. As if to say, "You? Eating disorder? What was it, Binge eating?!!"

Bitch.

I asked for anti-depressants, she said no. I asked for something to help my Insomnia, she suggested a hot bath before bed. As if I haven't tried that and everything else.
Then she proceeded to quiz me to diagnose if I really had depression. Because, obviously, her little quiz will tell her more than I can.

Her: Do you ever feel hopeless?
Me: Yes.
Her: Do you have trouble sleeping?
Me: What? I just told you that. Yes!
Her: No need to get angry. Do you have trouble concentrating? Have you lost interest in day to day activities?
Me: Yes!
Her: Are you having problems at home or work?

...And so it went on, even though i had just spent half an hour before telling her everything about what is and what isn't wrong. In the end I started crying, even though I tried not to give the bitch the satisfaction. She just looked me up and down (again), passed me a tissue and said "Is that all?"

Yeah, that's all. Thanks a fucking bunch.

4 comments:

  1. Oh honey I'm so sorry :(
    That sucks. That doc was definitely a bitch to you. And she's got the alphabet after her name so of course the other docs will assume she knows more about you than you do.
    "Professionals" are such a burden. If they'd learn some fucking respect then maybe we wouldn't have to hide behind internet anonymity.
    I am so sorry hun... many internet hugs to you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with honor ^^
    Also, are you ok? I just found your blog and I love it. Noticed you haven't written in a while though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Doctors are awful to deal with. Just because their lifes are great and so fucking happy, doesn't mean that other people's aren't. That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, it should get better though:/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cow. Maybe you could talk to your local help line. They might be more willing to hear what you have to say and could suggest someone else to talk to.
    It's ironic that when you go in they won't believe your depressed and having problems, and when I go in I can't convince them I'm not. Sure, I have some issues but I know I'm not depressed. I've grown up around it, so every one assumes I should be depressed as well. But I'm not, and frankly I think it disappoints them.
    Life. Eh.

    ReplyDelete